PreQualification Guide for Contractors
Principal Contractors should collect and check the following Items when engaging a Subcontractor
Disclaimer: this guide provides general information only. For advice and information specific to your business contact your lawyer.
Australian Business Number (ABN)
An ABN is required by all Contractors.
Note: You can verify the ABN in SiteBook against the ASIC registry using the "Lookup ABN" button.
A Contractors Licence is required by all Contractors with the following exceptions:
Not Required for:
- Cranes Hire
- Delivery Drivers
- Floor Coverings (Carpet layer, Vinyl, Floating Floor)
- Landscaping (where no construction work is carried out)
Trade Licence should be provided instead:
- Asbestos Removal
- Gas fitter
- Pest Control
- Security Systems
- A Contractors licence is not required when the contractor is covered by a specific Trade Licence. In these cases the Trade should provide the details of their Trade Licence in SiteBook:
WorkCover / Personal Accident Insurance
All Contractors should have insurance to cover the costs associated with an injured Worker returning to work. There are 3 types of insurance:
- WorkCover (state government insurance)
- Personal Accident or Income protection insurance
- Self Insurance (large corporations may have their own workers compensation insurance)
- All Contractors that have employees are required to have some form of workers compensation insurance, except for Sole Traders.
Public Liability Insurance
All contractors should have Public Liability Insurance.
- If your Building insurance covers your contractors then P/L may not be required for sole traders that you engage.However if you claim on your insurance premiums may rise.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
Only required by: