PreQualification Guide for Contractors

Principal Contractors should collect and check the following Items when engaging a Subcontractor

Disclaimer: this guide provides general information only. For advice and information specific to your business contact your lawyer.


Australian Business Number (ABN)

An ABN is required by all Contractors.

Note: You can verify the ABN in SiteBook against the ASIC registry using the "Lookup ABN" button.

Contractors Licence

A Contractors Licence is required by all Contractors with the following exceptions:

Not Required for:

  • Architect
  • Certifier
  • Cranes Hire
  • Delivery Drivers
  • Engineer
  • Floor Coverings (Carpet layer, Vinyl, Floating Floor)
  • Landscaping (where no construction work is carried out)
  • Scaffolding

Trade Licence should be provided instead:

  • Asbestos Removal
  • Plumber
  • Gas fitter
  • Electrician
  • Pest Control
  • Security Systems


  1. A Contractors licence is  not required when the contractor is covered by a specific Trade Licence. In these cases the Trade should provide the details of their Trade Licence in SiteBook:

WorkCover / Personal Accident Insurance

All Contractors should have insurance to cover the costs associated with an injured Worker returning to work. There are 3 types of insurance:

  • WorkCover (state government insurance)
  • Personal Accident or Income protection insurance
  • Self Insurance (large corporations may have their own workers compensation insurance)


  1. All Contractors that have employees are required to have some form of workers compensation insurance, except for Sole Traders.

Public Liability Insurance

All contractors should have Public Liability Insurance.


  1. If your Building insurance covers your contractors then P/L may not be required for sole traders that you engage.However if you claim on your insurance premiums may rise.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Only required by:

  • Architects
  • Engineers
  • Certifiers