Prepare a folder to store your Safety documents and keep the folder in your vehicle ready for Inspectors and emergencies. Your safety folder should include:
- Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) for any high risk work.
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS’s) for any Hazardous chemicals you use.
- A copy of all your workers White cards.
- A copy of your workers High Risk Work Licences for High Risk Work performed.
- Your Incident reporting procedures.
- Your emergency procedures including emergency contact phone numbers.
- Your Hazardous chemicals register for any hazardous chemicals you use.
(Ask your supplier if items are Hazardous. Examples are: petrol, glues, solvents)
Ensure electrical equipment is Tested and Tagged, including the RCD to be used on site.
Keep a First Aid kit in your vehicle, ensuring the contents cover the nature of the work being carried out in the workplace.
At the Work Site
- Do a Risk Assessment before starting work: identify hazards, implement control measures.
- If the job includes any high risk work, then document the risk assessment on your SWMS or JSA, then :
- Give the Builder copy of your SWMS/JSA (on projects >$250K).
- Ensure SWMS/JSA is read and signed off by your workers prior to commencement.
- Give the builder a copy of Workers White Cards and High Risk Work Licences.
- Provide workers with information, instructions, training & supervision e.g. induction.
- Ensure any High Risk Work is carried out as per SWMS.
- Keep a copy of your SWMS for 2 years if incident occurs.
- Ensure SWMS is readily available for workers and Inspectors.
- Ensure all your workers have their White Cards Licences readily available.
- Ensure all workers have and wear the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Provide First Aid to workers.
- Consult with your workers regarding job safety.
- Notify SafeWorkSA of any dangerous incidents.
If you need assistance with the preparation of your Work Health & Safety documents then contact SiteBook:
You can download a pdf version of the Safety Check List for Contractors here.
Legal stuff: This web site provides general information only. For advice and information specific to your business contact a WHS consultant.