Before work commences:
- Prepare a Safety Management Plan for the site.
- Prepare Safe Work Method Statements for all your High Risk construction activities.
- Erect signage on your site.
While work in progress:
- Do everything “reasonable practicable” to provide a safe place of work for all persons.
- Identify hazards; implement risk controls, monitor, and review.
- Consult, cooperate, and coordinate with other duty holders on the site regarding WHS.
- Secure the worksite from unauthorised access, or isolate hazards.
- Ensure WHS Documents are available on site for workers or Inspectors.
Induct all workers entering site (and visitors who are not accompanied by you):
- Record Personnel Details.
- Record Emergency contact details.
- Check and Record White Card details for all the workers.
- Collect copies of Cards, tickets & Qualifications.
- Inform person of Safety Requirements incl. Safety Management plan.
- Notify workers of Safety Policy incl. Emergency Plans.
Collect Safe Work Method Statements from subcontractors for high risk activities.
Confirm up-to-date insurances for contractors:
- Workers compensation: WorkCover.
- Public liability and Professional Indemnity.
- Review and update Safety Management Plan as necessary.
- Ensure workers have Personal Protective Equipment.
- Provision of first aid (for your workers).
- Provision of Personal Protective Equipment (for your workers).
- Manage airborne contaminants and hazardous atmospheres.
- Safe storage of flammable/combustible substances.
- Manage falling objects.
- Management of falling persons.
After work in complete:
- Keep records for 2 years (if there is an incident)
Tip: You can save heaps of time by using SiteBook to do a lot of this stuff for you!
Legal stuff: The information on this web site is indented to be general information only and cannot be relied on for a specific business. We highly recommend that you engage a Work Health and Safety consultant to advise on the documents processes and procedures best suited for your specific business.