A Victorian aged-care provider was recently convicted and fined $20,000 for failing to properly induct sub-contracted workers.
The company was charged with ‘failing to ensure people other than employees were not exposed to risks to their health and safety’.
After an incident occurred leaving a resident in need of medical care, the subcontracted worker was not aware of standard emergency procedure. The subcontractor was not aware that an emergency button was nearby, instead seeking help from the front desk area.
The delay in assistance put the resident’s health and safety at risk.
WorkSafe Victoria’s Executive Director of Health and Safety Julie Nielsen has reminded businesses that subcontractors are required to have the same level of induction as permanent staff.
“Employers have a duty of care to ensure that all staff are made aware of incident management procedures in high risk workplaces.”
“No matter the workplace or the circumstances, delays in emergency procedures leave staff and others in the workplace at serious risk to their health and safety.”